Role of table salt or sodium on our body
Reduce salt intake and control your BP. Diet experts say daily dose of salt intake should be less than 2400 milligrams (mg), it is the amount of sodium in one teaspoon of table salt. People with high blood pressure, doctors advise them limiting it to 1,500 mg of sodium a day.
So the question is how to reduce your salt intake. ……..when it comes to lowering your salt intake start reducing foods that contain a lot of salt.
Below is a list of high sodium foods
Table Salt, Baking Soda & Baking Powder- Table Salt
Sauces & Salad Dressings- Soy Sauce
Cured Meat & Fish
How to reduce salt intake
1. Leave soy sauce- Just a tablespoon of soy sauce contains more than 1,000 milligrams of sodium. Try leaving it off your food or find a low-sodium alternative, such as balsamic vinegar.
2. Choose fresh fruits and veggies over Frozen canned- Cut back on flavored rice, frozen dinners, pizza, packaged mixes, canned soups and packaged salad dressings. If possible Rinse canned foods for removing some sodium. Use fresh poultry, fish, and lean meat, rather than canned or processed types
3. Cut down on sodium-rich condiments such as ketchup, mustard and relish.
4. Eat less Bread as a loaf of bread contains about 230 mg of salt per slice.
5. Pizza intake less as Pizza have 760 milligrams of sodium per slice, it’s easy to see how the salt can add up quickly.
6. Use spices and herbs instead of salt for seasoning blends.